Wednesday, November 16, 2005

a kingdom that cannot be shaken

Do you ever have those life-defining moments where time just stands still? I love it. God spoke so clearly to me in a moment such as that just the other day. Since then, I've been going through a time of just processing what may be going on and trying to figure out what is next. To avoid confusion, the best way for me to explain is from the Word. Hebrews 12 is pretty awesome because it is the story of what God is doing right now inside of me and even around me.
First... about a week ago, the Spirit prompted me to bow to his feet. I did this and He gave me a beautiful picture of clinging to his feet. I then started to leave everything that has been in the way of our relationship there on His feet. Sure enough, the Lord reached down and gathered it up and literally threw it as far away from us as He could (which is pretty far). Whew! Now look at verse 1 "let us throw off everything that so easily entangles..." Ok, then of course (before the night was even over), my small mind and feeble heart chased what He had thrown out and allowed it to draw me back into bondage. Well, I guess God knows my heart better than I do because He ended up solving this whole thing by simply ripping it out of my hands since he knew that I was definitely having a difficult time surrendering. Although it was terribly painful, I began to see the bigger picture. And then, back to Hebrews 12: "...do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you..." (v.5) and "but God disciplines us for our good that we might share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." (v.10-11). Wow, ok God, Thank you. There is so much in the following verses, but for time's sake I'll skip to what really hit me.
Here's the good stuff - what sparked somewhat of a revelation to me from verses 25-29:
"See to it that you do not refuse Him who speaks. If they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from him who warns us from heaven? At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised , "Once more I will shake not only the earth, but also the heavens." The words "once more" indicate the removing of what can be shaken - that is, created things - so that what cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire."
I'm getting an image of Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, and it's making me process everything in a different light. First of all - I have definitely been making much too big of a deal out of something so comparably small! That's a relief. Also, God is going to shake me from time to time (as he has done) in order to slough off everything that is not part of the kingdom that lives within me. So, not only has he removed the obstacle that I was clinging to the hardest, but he is also beginning an excavation of my heart. In the meantime, I can stand firm, because 14 years ago I chose LIFE and began to receive a kingdom that cannot be shaken.
To assure you who are wondering, this does all refer back to what I as talking about before: LOVE. I must operate out of love when I go out from this quiet place, because the Lord has filled me with so much of it. That kingdom I'm (we're) receiving is just saturated in love. Love for Him, love for my brothers and also a new love for myself. As I walk, Christ is by my side and fire is destroying things all around (Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego), and the only thing I can even think to do is to pour out love. There is NO WAY that I could respond with love on my own to life's circumstances. But God stepped in and loved when I definitely could not. I have confidence that he will continue doing so...in fact, it's a promise.
Well, since I stand surrounded by the created earth (and my flesh) I still have so many things swimming around in my head, and several questions... so I must ask, God, what is the answer? TO LOVE ME AND LET ME LOVE YOU, and love your neighbor as yourself (which, by the way, will come from Me). Expect much, because I'm preparing you, and just keep on receiving that kingdom.

4 Comments:

Blogger TYLER WARD said...

thats jesus. goodness gracious thats jesus.

11:27 PM  
Blogger bless_HIS_name said...

Oh Sam, I definitely received from your blog. The Lord is incredible! Thanks for sharing with what is going on in your life and the way Jesus is moving inside of you!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Handmaiden said...

Hey Sam, will you send me your email so I can invite you to my blog? Thanks gal..hmm. I was doing some random reading last night, and in the midst of it, happened to read Haggai 2, and once I read it, I remembered Joefoe's comment here as well as your blog and his, and it intrigued me... so much so that I think I need to sort out some thoughts, blog-style.. au revoir...

12:12 PM  
Blogger Handmaiden said...

Sam, I got your invite, but it won't let me accept, and I keep getting an error message. I'm going to send you an invite now.. have fun!

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home